Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Family Matters

My Big sister's getting married!


I consider myself an open minded, pretty liberal young lady but I've always thought there was something very romantic about tradition, ceremony and symbolism, all of which are found in this piece. "The Arnolfini Wedding" contains so much content that one cannot begin to process all of the information in one sitting. It contains insane amounts of symbolism and was quite ahead of it's time conceptually. The mirror behind the couple portrays a perfect representation of interior space which was a revolutionary use of perspective and illusion at the time. The cherries on the tree outside the window symbolize love, oranges which lie on the window sill and chest may symbolized wealth, and the dog at the couples feet represent fidelity. It's the perfect piece to discussing marriage.
Cheers to Kara and Shawn! I'm working on your invitations as we speak!





No comments: