Thursday, July 23, 2009

Archives: Inspiration: Egon Schiele


A coversation in a cab reminded me about this post which I had finished but never published. So better late than never...

This is a self portrait I did in spring 2008, watercolor on dyed paper, with Egon Schiele's "Selbstporträt mit Lampionfrüchten", 1912. Egon Schiele is one of my favorite artists, his work with portraiture and figures have been inspirational for me over the years. I found it quite intriguing and revealing looking at the two pieces side by side. It's interesting to think about your surroundings or things you are looking at infiltrating your brain and effecting what comes out of you. I think I may do more paintings like this in the future, I like the visual of lavendar skin tones, much like Sargent's "Madame X" I find it eerie and beautiful at the same time.

No comments: