Friday, June 20, 2008

Fucntional Fine Art



The genius of Richard Prince transcends art and now it has slowly leaked into music and fashion. When I bought Sonic Youth's "Sonic Nurse", I had no idea who was behind the album artwork but I knew that I needed to find out. Richard Prince had created the "Sonic Nurse", influenced by his Nurses series, especially for the bands album that was released in 2004. I then googled him and I became obsessed almost immediately. He is such a smart artist yet he doesn't take himself too seriously, he has dedicated his life to art in many different fields. (Check out this article, one of the best Richard Prince Q&A's http://nymag.com/nymetro/arts/art/11815/.) My obsession and admiration for his work has grown over the years and when I heard that the incredible Marc Jacobs was collaborating with him on his new handbag series for Louis Vuitton I was enthralled! Two of the loveliest workaholics in the world coming together to create something beautiful.




Marc Jacobs has built a glamorous bridge between the fine art world and the fashion world. I admire his work so much and think people are finally realizing that there is no real difference between the two worlds. Fashion is simply wearable art and fine art sets the tone for fashion, they coexist together and Marc Jacobs was brilliant enough to understand that. By collaborating with artists like Takashi Murakami and Richard Prince, you can afford a piece of functional fine art. Genius! I'll probably have to set aside another blog in honor of the magical Marc Jacobs...



Even the advertisments were flawless, blending references from Prince's muscle car series and the vampy luxury that Jacob's has brought to Louis Vuitton.

No comments: