Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Oooo Oooo!



I was introduced to this book by the fabulous and talented Ms. Diana Behl, who specializes in intaglio innovations http://www.dianabehl.com/ . When I picked it up I couldn't put it down, it's a quick but vital read for ALL artists. It's real, it sucks, it's impossible, it's art! This isn't a sweet, "every creator is created equally" book, it explains and exposes actual worries you should have as an artist. I haven't found a more honest, "how to art" guide yet, and it's nice to hear the truth from people who have impacted the world you want so badly to be a part of.
One of my favorite letters...
Dear Young Artist,
I started my career as a young artist is 1957. Then, there was
not the money in art that there is today. Therefore, one made art because one needed to do so. I taught public school
five days a week and painted when I could. I got married and participated in having two children, which made it more difficult to make art. I lived in National City, California, not an art center.
My advice? Don't go into art for fame or fortune. Do it because you cannot not do it. Being an artist is a combination of talent and obsession. Live in New York, L.A., Koln, or London. As for money: If you're talented and obsessed, you'll find a solution.
Yrs in art,
John Baldessari
Vencie, California

No comments: