Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Smack My Bitch Up.

I'm a huge fan of 50's and 60's music, something about it was so pure. I appreciate the time that they came from but some of these lyrics seem like sad, misogynistic torture. Especially The Crystals- He Hit Me (and it felt like a kiss) and Lesley Gore- That's the Way Boys Are. I find it interesting that these two songs didn't even raise an eyebrow. It's kind of funny actually, a sociological study in the pre-women's liberation movement based on music alone would be an interesting essay to research. There is plenty of material (songs) out there, written by men and performed by high profile women that have similar lyrics. I'm not a feminist by any means, I'll be the first to laugh as unshaven armpits and the thought of "equal" treatment. We are completely different men and women in mind and body, now "fair" treatment based on circumstance is a much better approach. As far as I'm concerned we all have our special talents, I can give birth yet I can't carry a 50lb box up my stairs, see my point? Anyway peep these lyrics and listen to these songs, hopefully you have enough sense to either be shocked or laugh a little, they are amazing songs musically as well.
The Crystals- He Hit Me (and it Felt Like a Kiss)



MusicPlaylist
MySpace Playlist at MixPod.com




Lesley Gore- That's the Way Boys Are


MusicPlaylist
MySpace Music Playlist at MixPod.com

No comments: